Friday, September 27, 2013

Illustration: 20 Busts


"20 Busts" by Zack Ketz

"I was able to get a pair of tickets to Comic Con this year and so I wanted to have some new concept art in my portfolio. I had never done busts before. I've always drawn full length characters. I was able to crank out 9 busts on a single page in a few hours. It was fun! A great way to crank out a bunch of characters and let those juices flow! I plan on doing 20 monsters and 20 sci-fi busts in the future. I wanted to start at the basic human character level.


My goal was to focus on form more than detail and go for a simpler comic-book feel than I've ever done. You'll see what I mean when I get the BloodLands video done.

Once, I was done, I went onto Deviant Art and found a couple colorists. Ross Campbell wrote me back and was available. As it turns out, he lives in Europe somewhere - France or England I believe. I paid him via PayPal. A week later, I had my 20 busts back! When I received the color sample from Ross, I thought the sample he gave me had more comic book feel than anything else I've done.

I printed them out for my portfolio and will print them in my art book someday."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...